The holidays are coming and if you like to entertain (or even if you don’t) and you expect to have guests coming, here are some great ideas to make your dining room “dress-to-impress”.
1. Mirrors are awesome. They not only make the room feel bigger, they also make the room feel brighter. And here is the best part of mirrors – people LOVE to look at themselves. Nothing like making your guests feel special and beautiful at the same time.
Try installing a large “framed” wall mirror at one end of the room to open the space.
2. If you still have that light fixture the builder sold with the house, or an old fashioned tried, tested, and true, light fixture, it might have sentimental value. But try using a glass type chandelier. And to add some style and different effects of lighting, you can add some wall sconces . If you don’t want to hire an electrician to wire the walls for sconces, you can get some now that use candles for when you entertain.
And don’t forget candles on the table.
3. You don’t need to spend $100,000 on flowers like Elton John, to simply use a nice bouquet as a centrepiece. Flowers always make people feel great!
4. If you have a fireplace in your dining room … fire it up. If you don’t have a fireplace, many big box retailers these days like Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. sell affordable electric fireplaces in various decors and colours. A fireplace adds warmth and comfort to the room, and makes people feel cozy and warm in the winter.
5. These days stores sell disposable plates and utensils that actually look real. They are enticing because you can just throw everything in the garbage after dinner (easy clean-up) rather than do the whole dishwasher thing! DON’T CHEAP OUT! Use different styles of glassware if you can to add character to the table. Maybe even borrow some nice glassware from someone you know if you have to.